Resiliency, as defined by the TCOM tools, is an individual’s capacity to identify and use their internal strengths to manage their lives in times of need and support their own development. Resiliency acknowledges an individual’s ability to “bounce back” from psychosocial consequences resulting from traumatic experiences. These experiences can range from traumatic life events such as sexual or physical abuse, witness to violence, or natural disasters to the divorce of parents or a change in schools. Any one of these events (and many others) can cause children to have strong feelings and reactions that impact their ability to function. A child’s intensity of reaction to trauma is not a sign of weakness or failing. Many times these experiences are beyond anyone’s capacity to adapt, which affects their ability to recover.
Our last post featured and introduced a new campaign from Center for Child Trauma Assessment, Services, and Interventions, at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine. Here are some facts from Remembering Trauma
- 26% of children in the US will witness or experience a traumatic event before they turn four.
- Young children exposed to 5+ significant adverse experiences from 0-3 yrs are 76% more likely to have a delay in language, emotion, and/or brain development.
- Over 50% of youth in detention have experienced at least 6 trauma incidents prior to arrest.
As we look at the statistics around child trauma and the effects of traumatic experiences, we identify Resiliency as a strength an individual holds. In fact, it is the ability of a person to recognize AND use their strengths.
Resiliency is a CORE item captured in the CANS (Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths). It is an item that needs to be seen in three parts.
- Does the individual have internal strengths?
- Is the individual able to recognize their own strengths?
- And, are they able to use their strengths to support healthy development?
I Work as a Social Work Program Coordinator at UTA University-Ecuador. I would like to know if we can obtain the software for the university.
Thanks a lot