Are You A Change Maker, Change Embracer, Change Resistor?
Shift, Shift…Bloom: A Podcast All About How People Change
The Transformational Collaborative Outcomes Management (TCOM) framework acts as an approach on how to manage human serving systems (example: healthcare, child welfare, juvenile justice, mental health, education). TCOM focuses on shifting these systems away from just spending time with people, to seeing the work as transformational offerings by helping people change their lives.
The Praed Foundation, the organization that oversees the TCOM tools (Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths [CANS], Adult Needs and Strengths [ANSA], Family Advocacy and Support Tool [FAST], etc.) is interested in exploring the theme of transformation by attempting to understand how people change. One idea was to collect stories from people with different experiences to understand how they have changed and explore their personal change processes.
To explore personal transformation, the Praed Foundaiton partnered with ActuallyQuiteNice Studios and created the Shift, Shift…Bloom! podcast, which examines how people change, why they change, and how they sustain the changes that are most important to them in their everyday lives.
The ten-episode ﬁrst season featured guests who consider themselves in one of three categories: change makers, change embracers, or resistors of change. Conversations with host Kristen Cerelli explored the importance of mindset, personality, life circumstances, communities of support, and sources of inspiration on the process of transformation.
We ask you, the TCOM Community, to listen to these stories, share your thoughts using our social media (@shiftshiftbloom), and let us know: Are you a change maker, change embracer, or resistor of change?
Podcast episodes include:
- EP 1: Be Yourself at the Pool with Jordan Constantine, which explores his emotional and profound journey of his gender transition.
- EP 2: Pay a Fair Price for That with Rachel Faller, discusses her dedication to creating her zero waste, fair trade company, tonlé.
- EP 3: Get in The Slop with Dr. De Lacy Davis, who shares his story as a black police officer in a historically racist institution, to now a founder of Black Cops Against Police Brutality.
- EP 4 & 5: Take That Chance with Juliana Barton, a child abuse survivor who became a speaker about the child welfare system and a government liaison for the state of Ohio.
- EP 6: See the Step in Front of You, with Michele McFadden, who survived a hit-and-run accident, but was left with a traumatic brain injury that significantly impaired her physical and verbal abilities and memory.
- EP 7: Imagine Your Money Is Gone with Cynthia Alpan, a Lebanese native and financial advisor who is faced with Lebanon’s economic crisis (one of the worst the world has ever seen) and the losses that come with this experience.
- EP 8: Walk Through the Door, with Dr. Reverend Greg Dyke, whose journey led him from engineering, ministry, and now the rolling hills of the bluegrass as a yak rancher in Wellington, Kentucky.
- EP 9: Strip Down the Layers, with Gabe Fazio and Brandy Hotchner, method actors who give their personal and professional perspective of personal transformation.
- EP 10: Grab the Kids and Go, with “Leonie”, an African Immigrant who fled the same abusive marriage to save herself and her children, not once, but twice.
In ten additional “TCOM Takeaway” episodes, Dr. John Lyons contributed his unique perspective, seeking to illuminate how change itself can be both deeply personal and a universal experience.
Season 1 of Shift, Shift…Bloom! has concluded and will return for Season 2, which will focus on individuals who help facilitate change and explore the universal changes that are inventible in most people’s lifetime. Listen to Shift, Shift…Bloom! anywhere you get your podcasts: shiftshiftbloom.com/listen