Missed Opportunities: Youth Homelessness in America
This month, Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago reached an important milestone in their work on runaway and homeless youth. Voices of Youth Count released Missed Opportunities: Youth Homelessness in America, the first in a series of Research-to-Impact briefs on understanding and addressing youth homelessness.
The first brief — National Estimates — highlights results from a national survey on unaccompanied youth homelessness in America. The study captures youth homelessness broadly, including sleeping on the streets, in shelters, running away, being kicked out, and couch surfing.
Overall, Chapin Hall’s work suggests that as a nation, we are missing opportunities to ensure that all young people can reach their full potential and contribute to stronger communities and economies across the country. In fact, findings show one in 10 young adults ages 18-25, and at least one in 30 adolescents ages 13-17, experience some form of homelessness over the course of a year.
In the months ahead, Chapin Hall will publish additional briefs on topics related to trajectories into homelessness, the interactions of youth homelessness and systems like child welfare, the evidence regarding interventions to address youth homelessness, and experiences faced by specific subgroups of young people. The aim is to continue to expand our understanding of youth experiences with homelessness. All additional briefs will continue to be posted here!
Additionally, both documents mentioned above can be accessed here:
- Missed Opportunities: Youth Homelessness in America: A Research-to-Impact brief targeted at Congress and policymakers
- Missed Opportunities: Youth Homelessness in America: A one-pager of the high level messages taken from the Research-to-Impact brief
Take a look at the following articles that mention the project.
- NPR: New Study Finds That 4.2 Million Kids Experience Homelessness Each Year.
- Education Week: Are More Young People Homeless Than We Thought? Study Shares Startling Data.
- Youth Today: Millions of Youth Are Homeless for More Than Month At a Time, New Study Finds.
- Journal of Adolescent Health: Prevalence and Correlates of Youth Homelessness in the United States
- Huffington Post: Largest Study of Homeless Young Adults: 10 Percent Lack Shelter Each Year.
- Philly Voice: Report sheds new light on Philadelphia’s youth homelessness problem..
- AFP: Homelessness afflicts four million US youth: study.
- Windy City Times: Report: 1 in 10 Young adults experience homelessness during 1 year, high number are LGBTQ
- UChicago News: One in ten young adults experience homelessness during one year, Chapin Hall finds